Saturday, January 18, 2014

This Week in Review and Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe

     Hope everyone's week was good.  I have finished a couple of books and posted the reviews on my other blogs, started crocheting a baby blanket, started 3 more books, tried some new recipes for dinner and did some genealogy. Good week.

     I made homemade hamburger soup that we all love on Tuesday night and decided to try a recipe from Bisquick for gluten free bread sticks. I wasn't sure if this was going to work but they really turned out good. I got the recipe from http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/biscuit-sticks/5d670e15-a7da-4091-b59d-e8d3f1766acb. I just added about 1/4 tsp to the Bisquick whisked them together and then followed the recipe. They turned out really good, sorry I didn't think to take a picture of them. Try these with regular Bisquick or like I did use the gluten free Bisquick.

   Thursday night I wanted to use up the russet potatoes that I was afraid would go bad and the hamburger I had left.  The same old thing of hamburgers and fried potatoes didn't sound good to me, I wanted something different so I decided to make a Sloppy Joe Casserole instead.



Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef I used 85% for less fat
1 can Manwhich ( you can use any sauce you want that you normally use for sloppy joes. I usually make my own but had this can and decided to make it easy on myself)
5 potatoes
shredded cheddar cheese
Ketchup
olive oil

Directions

Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.
Brown your ground beef. Drain the fat and then add your can of Manwhich or sauce you use. Simmer.
While you are simmering the sloppy joe cut up your potatoes into thin slices. Put olive oil in to your skillet and heat. Put potato slices into oil and cook till tender like you would for fried potatoes.

Take a pan and put the sloppy joe hamburger mix in the bottom. Top with the potatoes. Now cover with aluminum foil and put in oven for 10 minutes covered. Take out and drizzle ketchup over the top of the potatoes and then put the cheddar cheese on top to cover the potatoes. Put back in oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted completely. Serve with a nice salad and the breadsticks from the above recipe and you have a delicious meal.

I would have used hash browns or tator tots instead of the russet potatoes but I needed to use up the potatoes. I think if you used either one of these it would be really good.
It was a hit at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment