Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spicy Hamburger Hashbrown Dish or Nana's Mess

Have you ever had a day when your best laid plans for dinner just didn't work out. That's what happened to me tonight, so when the steaks were still frozen and dinner had to be done in a hurry I had to improvise. So taking what I had this is what I came up with and we called it Nana's Mess because I messed up and didn't thaw the meat out for dinner and was out of pasta.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (ground turkey would probably work too)
1 4.2 oz carton dehydrated hash browns
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup picante sauce
2tsp dehydrated onions
2tsp garlic salt
2tsp taco seasoning
4 slices of american cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbs ketchup
Parmesan cheese for top

Directions:
In a skillet brown the ground beef, onions, garlic salt and taco seasoning. Drain
Cook the hash browns as it says on the box. You can use frozen or fresh hash browns if you like I used what I had available. Just cook the hash browns as directed on the ones you use.
Combine the cooked hash browns and ground beef together. Add the diced tomatoes, picante sauce and stir. When this is warm add the sour cream and ketchup and stir to mix together. Cook on low. When heated through add the american cheese slices ( you can use shredded cheddar cheese here instead but again I was out). When the slices start to melt stir into the hamburger hash brown mix. Dish up and add the Parmesan cheese to the top like and dig in. Very good, filling and the family loved it.

Even though I didn't fix what I had planned and had to go to the pantry to make something, it really didn't turn out bad. You can add more of the onions, garlic salt and taco seasoning to your taste but in our house less is used because some don't like to much of the seasoning.

Give this a try it really was good. It can be gluten free if you use gluten free seasonings, sour cream, ketchup, picante sauce and cheese.
So Dig In and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment